Youth Services Assistant (25 hours)
Organization:Licking County Library
General Requirements: Along with the commitment and desire to provide excellent service to library customers, all Licking County Library employees must have the ability to maintain predictable and regular attendance, work a flexible schedule including daytime, evening and weekend hours, communicate, comprehend and follow Library policy and procedure and develop and maintain positive working relationships with all internal and external customers. All employees must be able to understand library wide operations, satisfactorily perform all of the responsibilities associated with a specific job title and meet the physical requirements of that same job title. All employees must have the ability to alphabetize and perform basic math operations. In addition, all employees must have the ability to work according to the priorities as established by Library Administration and/or the Library Board of Trustees and to adapt to change as necessary.
Minimum Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate’s degree preferred or an equivalent combination of appropriate education, experience, and training.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle to provide own transportation when participating in off-site library business.
- Library certification from the Ohio Library Council, preferred.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Show enthusiasm and commitment to excellent customer service, genuine public service orientation and ability to work with all age groups and diverse populations of customers.
- Embrace innovation and experimentation with emerging technologies and related tools.
- Maintain an awareness of developments in the field of public library service with an emphasis on Youth Services.
- Excellent verbal, written, and telephone skills.
- Keyboarding, filing, basic math, and alphabetizing skills.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information handled.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to perform several tasks simultaneously and under pressure.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to perform detail-oriented duties accurately.
- Knowledge of and ability to communicate library policies, procedures, and techniques to the public.
- Ability to monitor current literature for patterns, themes, and titles of potential interest to customers.
- Ability to recognize and respond to potential dangers to customers and staff.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and other software.
- Ability to perform the physical activities associated with this job.
- Flexibility in scheduling in regards to lunch breaks and length of work day.
Apply online at www.lickingcountylibrary.org
Scroll to the bottom of the Main page and click on "Careers"
- Provide exemplary customer service by answering directional and reference questions, locating materials, processing hold requests, monitoring behavior of library customers, and ensuring that the library is pleasant, inviting, neat, orderly, and safe.
- Perform duties associated with Youth Services (assist with collection development, reference, programming, creating displays and promotions, and weeding as assigned.)
- Perform clerical duties common to a library environment including issuing library cards, collecting of lost item fines, answering telephone, renewing materials, etc.
- Enforce Library policy and procedures while providing direction and problem solving.
- Prepare marketing materials according to library guidelines and standards.
- Initiate Inter-library loan requests by verifying materials not in library consortium and placing request.
- Receive and evaluate donations to be cataloged or added to the book sale.
- Prepare classroom collection requests.
- Instruct and assist customers in how to use Public Access Catalog terminal and other Library equipment.
- Participate in training new hires that are going through the Onboarding Program.
- Coordinate, educate, and conduct classes and presentations for customers and staff onsite and off-site on library services (i.e. speaker’s bureau, community groups, internal staff training, etc.)
- Address customer complaints and concerns.
- Build knowledge of local collections and consult appropriate paper and online bibliographic resources to provide reader’s advisory.
- Compile information and statistics and prepare and submit reports to the Youth Services Coordinator.
- Prepare for opening and closing by turning on/off lights and equipment.
- Repair minor defects in Youth Services materials.
- Contact schools to schedule library staff visits to schools and class visits to the Library.
- Fill photocopier and other equipment with paper and tone, clear paper jams, and notify service company or vendor for scheduled maintenance and more involved problems.
- All other duties as needed or as assigned.
- May attend library continuing education activities or represent Library at conferences and area events.
- May represent library at community outreach events such as parades, and festivals with displays and/or craft activities.