Youth Services Assistant
Organization:Licking County Library
Minimum Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate’s degree preferred or an equivalent combination of appropriate education, experience, and training.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle to provide own transportation when participating in off-site library business.
- Library certification from the Ohio Library Council, preferred.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
- Provide exemplary customer service by answering directional and reference questions, locating materials, processing hold requests, monitoring behavior of library customers, and ensuring that the library is pleasant, inviting, neat, orderly, and safe.
- Perform duties associated with Youth Services (assist with collection development, reference, programming, creating displays and promotions, and weeding as assigned.)
- Perform clerical duties common to a library environment including issuing library cards, collecting of lost item fines, answering telephone, renewing materials, etc.
- Enforce Library policy and procedures while providing direction and problem solving.
- Prepare marketing materials according to library guidelines and standards.
- Initiate Inter-library loan requests by verifying materials not in library consortium and placing request.
- Receive and evaluate donations to be cataloged or added to the book sale.
- Prepare classroom collection requests.
- Instruct and assist customers in how to use Public Access Catalog terminal and other Library equipment.
- Participate in training new hires that are going through the Onboarding Program.
- Coordinate, educate, and conduct classes and presentations for customers and staff onsite and off-site on library services (i.e. speaker’s bureau, community groups, internal staff training, etc.)
- Address customer complaints and concerns.
- Build knowledge of local collections and consult appropriate paper and online bibliographic resources to provide reader’s advisory.
- Compile information and statistics and prepare and submit reports to the Youth Services Coordinator.
- Prepare for opening and closing by turning on/off lights and equipment.
- Repair minor defects in Youth Services materials.
- Contact schools to schedule library staff visits to schools and class visits to the Library.
- Fill photocopier and other equipment with paper and tone, clear paper jams, and notify service company or vendor for scheduled maintenance and more involved problems.
- All other duties as needed or as assigned.