Youth Services Manager
Organization:Williams County Public Library
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
This is an active position requiring a sighted individual for reading and computer usage. The position also requires an individual with normal hearing and excellent English skills for frequent direct and telephone interaction with the public and other employees. The Youth Services Manager is required to move frequently and quickly around the library, to reach and bend for materials, to lift and carry books and equipment as needed. A valid driver's license is required for travel to professional development and outreach opportunities.
Master of Library and Information Science or equivalent required.
Minimum of 2 years Youth Services experience, preferably in a public library, preferred.
Supervisory experience preferred.
Must be willing and able to work weekends and evenings.
Must have access to transportation for performing job responsibilities required.
Youth Services Manager
The Williams County Public Library located in Bryan, Ohio has five Branches throughout the county as well as a Main Library and Local History Center. Serving a population of 38,000, the library has an annual budget of 2.3 million and a staff of 58. Bryan is the county seat of Williams County, and its greatest asset is its ability to combine the friendliness and charm of a small town with the convenience of a large city. A first class library system, award winning hospital, along with a strong school system, booming downtown shopping district, and extensive park system, combine to make life in Bryan very appealing. Bryan was listed multiple times as one of the best small towns in America.
As a full-time (40 hour/week) member of the library’s management team, this position is responsible for the supervision of all Youth Services functions of the library in conformance with Library policies and procedures and professional standards. Supervises Main department’s staff for children’s services and young adult services, including Librarians, Library Assistants, and Department Coordinators and Managers.
- Hires, trains, evaluates, supervises and manages Youth Services staff, covering children’s and young adult services.
- Meets or exceeds professional standards and best practices in reader’s advisory and reference work for children, their parents or guardians.
- Meets or exceeds standards and best practices in collection development, program development and outreach activities for children, toddler through 8th grade, and young adults, 9th grade through age 19.
- Compiles departmental reports and statistics.
- As Library Management Team Member: Willingly and actively assists the Library Director in the development of departmental goals and objectives and serves on various internal library committees. Manages grant writing/ fund raising for exhibits, collections, programs and other outreach activities, at Director’s discretion. Takes on special projects and performs other work as determined in conjunction with Director.
- As Department Manager: Organizes, plans activities, schedules work assignments, guides, evaluates and otherwise supervises the Youth Services staff. Assists in the development of departmental budget and oversees appropriate expenditure of funds. Oversees and assists with collection development, selection and weeding of materials. Oversees the planning, implementation and review of all Youth programs and activities, working with other Departments and Managers as necessary. Works with Marketing Coordinator to organize effective marketing of Library programs and services through the Library’s newsletters and website, Face Book and other electronic media, newspaper notices and articles, among others.
- As Youth Services Manager: Provides reference, reader’s advisory and other library service to children, their parents and young adult patrons as needed. Represents Williams County Public Library appropriately at workshops and educational meetings relating to Youth Services. Performs other work as assigned.
Salary commensurate with experience. The library offers a complete benefits package.
Position open until filled.
Interested applicants should send resume with references either via mail or email (no phone calls, please) to:
Jeffrey A. Yahraus, Director
Williams County Public Library
107 E High Street
Bryan OH 43506