NEW: Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers
Register now for Session 1 in our new webinar series!
Do you work with cataloging or records maintenance at your library? Could you use a better understanding of how subject headings are assigned?
This three-part webinar series will focus on the skills and knowledge necessary to understand and assess existing subject headings in MARC format. All sessions are aimed at individuals that primarily utilize copy cataloging.
Through these sessions attendees will have the opportunity to gain an overview of the variety of subject heading systems, understand the rules for how LoC subject headings are assigned to a record, recognize the variety of RDA-related changes in subject authority records, explore MARC 21 for subject headings in bib records and LCSH authority records and assess the quality of existing records. We will also cover catalogers’ judgement and bias.
Read more about each of the sessions in this series below, or visit our Events Calendar to register or view detailed descriptions of each event.
Series Presenter: Sarah Schaff (Denison University Library)
Overview of Subject Analysis (Session 1)
This first session in the Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers series will give an overview of the process of subject analysis. We will describe the vocabulary and resources you need to get started. In this session, attendees will have the opportunity to:
- explore the variety of subject heading systems
- discuss cataloger’s judgment and bias
- learn about MARC 21 coding for subject headings in bibliographic records and Library of Congress Subject Headings
Tuesday, November 10 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. | CEUs: 2
Subject Analysis Tools for Copy Catalogers (Session 2)
This second session in the Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers series will focus on tools and resources you can use to verify assigned subject headings. In this session, attendees will have the opportunity to:
- understand the rules for how LoC subject headings are assigned to a record
- recognize the variety of RDA-related changes in subject authority records
- explore free, online tools they can use to assess the quality of existing subject headings
Tuesday, November 17 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. | CEUs: 2
Suggested Workflows (Session 3)
This last session in the Subject Analysis for Copy Catalogers series focuses on the steps needed to confirm the validity and appropriateness of assigned subject headings. We will also explore how and when to make changes that make sense for your collection and users. In this session, attendees will have the opportunity to:
- check the validity of assigned subject headings when copy cataloging
- discuss cataloger’s judgment and etiquette in shared catalogs
- explore types of changes and corrections that are more commonly required
Tuesday, December 1 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. | CEUs: 2
Can’t make it in real-time?
Sign up to get a link to review the recording of our online sessions at your convenience.