Basics of Original Cataloging (Session 1)
This series introduces attendees to the key skills and workflows needed to create original records in MARC 21 format. These webinars are designed for individuals who have prior training or experience with copy cataloging practices. Attendees are strongly encouraged to have access to their preferred cataloging software during these presentations.
Attendees of these sessions will have the opportunity to…
- Review key terms and resources to support original cataloging
- Explore tools and tactics to streamline original cataloging workflows
- Practice searching for and modifying records to examine possible workflows
Individuals are encouraged to have access to their cataloging software while taking this course, if possible.
Individuals are encouraged to have access to materials they are working to catalog and have questions about.
The first session in our newest Fundamentals of Cataloging series will provide an overview of the skills and knowledge needed to create MARC records from scratch.
Attendees will explore the vocabulary of original cataloging, the levels and types of cataloging possible, and the basic reference sites that can support their individual cataloging needs.
Attendees of this session will have the opportunity to…
- Learn how to efficiently assess the quality of records
- Understand the benefits of different levels of cataloging – core, full, and enhanced
- Discover key reference sites
Who Should Attend
Individuals responsible for editing and maintaining catalog records or anyone with an interest in the topic. Previous cataloging work is STRONGLY recommended.