Online Database Overviews: Transparent Language Online
OhioNET’s Online Database Overviews are a series of freely available webinars, open to all library staff working in Ohio. Many, but not all, of the databases featured in this series are available statewide. Each training session will be aimed at current users/subscribers and will include
- an overview of the resource(s) being featured (what content is included, what search options are available, who is the intended audience)
- a review of access requirements and options for sharing/downloading content
- an exploration of use cases and marketing ideas
- a discussion of options for staff training to help end-users navigate the materials
Learn to speak a new language through Transparent Language Online. From French, German, Italian and Spanish to Japanese, Russian, Korean and Mandarin Chinese, this rich resource includes materials in over 110 languages and is available to all libraries across the state through Libraries Connect Ohio. Special attention will be given to the ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) content that includes support for over 30 different language pairs and the interactive, video-based KidSpeak feature aimed at children in grades K-2.
Attendees of this session will have the opportunity to:
- Explore the variety of languages available to learn
- Understand the general features of the resource
- Get an overview of ESL (English-as-a-Second Language) content
- Learn about KidSpeak – the foreign language module designed specifically for children in grades K-2
- Learn what marketing resources are available, and see a few examples from real libraries using the materials in action
This is a FREE webinar, open to all Ohio librarians at no charge.
Who Should Attend
Staff members working in reference, instruction, information literacy, or anyone with an interest in the topic.