Branch Library Manager
About this Job
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Branch Library Manager for the Huber Heights Branch Library. This beautiful branch is brand new and offers many unique spaces and features, including a grand baby piano! This busy branch enjoys a high circulation of materials as well as attendance at programming. The ideal candidate will be customer-service focused, adept in building strong teams, and eager to serve a vibrant community. Join our team today!
Essential Job Duties
• Establishes and implements goals and objectives for branch service that support the Library’s Mission.
• Directs all branch services such as reference assistance, readers’ advisory, outreach, circulation, and programming.
• Directly hires, trains, supervises, schedules, coaches, and evaluates employees in assigned branch. Oversees branch volunteers. Ensures proper staffing at all customer service points. Serves as liaison between Administration and branch staff. Communicates with the administrative team on policy, patron, and staffing issues.
• Ensures the efficient, effective, customer service oriented delivery of services to branch Library patrons. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies, and procedures. Demonstrates and models excellent internal and external customer service. Maintains frequent personal presence in public areas to ensure outstanding service. A minimum of 10 – 20% of work time spent at a public service point.
• Manages branch collections and oversees evaluation and processing of donated materials. Collaborates with Technical Services to ensure the collection is responsive to community’s information, recreational, and educational needs. Arranges for repair, cancellation, or redistribution of materials as needed.
• Promotes community awareness of the Library and establishes effective communication and partnerships with community groups, organizations, and individuals.
• Prepares annual budget requests and submits quarterly, topical, and other reports as requested.
• Answers patrons’ reference questions and assists patrons in selecting and locating materials. Assists patrons in the use of computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
• Monitors branch facility needs, initiates maintenance and repair of branch building, equipment, and grounds in cooperation with the Facilities Manager.
• Maintains a safe and secure facility for staff and patrons in conjunction with the Safety and Protective Services Manager.
• Implements Library policies and procedures at the branch level. Participates in policy revision and in the formulation of policies and procedures. Interprets Library policies to staff and patrons with a patron-responsive management perspective.
• Assists with system-wide decision making through consistent information sharing, regular attendance at Managers’ and Public Services Managers’ meetings and service on at least one DML committee.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program, minimum of three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in a public library setting at a professional level, and supervisory experience preferred.
• Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
• Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee branch operations and personnel.
• Knowledge of professional library principles, theories, concepts, policies, and procedures.
• Knowledge and appreciation of literature, periodicals, web sites, social media, and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant collection.
• Ability to develop programs and services to meet community needs.
• Ability to maintain effective relationships with community officials, leaders, organizations, the public and the staff.
• Ability to present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community individually and in a group setting. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
• Schedule includes day time, evening, and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Further, we recognize the importance of language diversity on our team as Dayton was the first city in the United States to earn the status of "Certified Welcoming" city. We encourage applications from individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages commonly used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at [email protected]. This position is open until filled.
Posted On: Jan 16, 2024 / This posting expires: Feb 2, 2024