About this Job
Under general supervision of the Regional Branch Services Coordinator, the Branch Manager is responsible for all operations at the Branch and represents the library in community activities and events.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note: The duties listed below illustrate but do not limit the tasks performed by persons in this classification. Consistently provide superior customer service.
- Model behaviors that exemplify superior customer service.
- Exhibit professional, courteous and approachable demeanor at all times.
- Handle multiple interruptions at once, sustaining productivity and accuracy.
- Supervise and adequately perform all aspects of Branch operations.
- As the leader of the branch, consistently foster a culture of teamwork, inclusivity, creative problem solving, and openness to new ideas and change. Regularly work at the public service desk, and professionally and non-judgmentally provide quick and accurate answers using appropriate reference techniques.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with Library policy and Ohio law.
- Deal tactfully and professionally with unhappy customers, resolving the customer’s issues while explaining and adhering to library policy.
- Maintain current knowledge of all library programs. Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness, efficiency and quality of services, bringing recommendations to the Regional Branch Services Coordinator as appropriate.
- Interpret Library policy and procedure to staff and public as appropriate.
- Relay changed and new policies, procedures, services, resources, projects, etc to Branch staff.
- Represent the Library publicly at community meetings and other activities, as directed.
- Determine, assess and address community needs and regularly evaluate Branch services in meeting those needs, recommending change as necessary.
- Meet and communicate frequently with the Regional Branch Services Coordinator on all issues and together set goals and develop objectives for the Branch.
- Perform all Branch Clerk duties including circulation processes, collecting payments, shelving and retrieving materials, placing and pulling holds, registering customers for Golden Buckeye cards, etc.
- Perform all Branch Youth Service Librarian/Associate duties, as needed. May include (but not limited to) presenting programming, visiting classes, collection development related activities. Supervise staff and volunteers, planning, organizing and directing work activities, participating in hiring, conducting orientation and training, preparing performance evaluations and recommending disciplinary action if needed.
- Regularly evaluate and identify training needs within the branch, allowing sufficient time for staff to participate in appropriate training. Assume the lead role in providing reference and readers’ advisory services to customers.
- Maintain effective and productive working partnerships with schools, community groups and others in the community that the Branch serves.
- Supervise the daily collection of money, including its safekeeping and delivery to the Business Office pursuant to library cash handling policy.
- Work with Coordinators to offer year-round programs for all ages.
- Consistently seek out opportunities to embed the library in the community, working with the Regional Branch Services Coordinator and Community Engagement Coordinator and community organizations to provide relevant programs and activities.
- Monitor facility and property issues and conditions, communicating any needs or problems to the appropriate person(s).
- Work closely with the Collection Resources Coordinator and Regional Branch Services Coordinator to manage all aspects of branch collection, identifying new and additional materials, evaluating existing materials, removing out of date or worn materials, and verifying physical labeling and catalog record accuracy.
- Respond to alarm calls or facility emergencies, regardless of time of day or day of week.
- Find coverage for staff absences, or fill in when subs are unavailable.
- Clean up bodily fluids as necessary following library procedures.
- Hold regular staff meetings and act on issues raised in such meetings in a timely manner.
- Provide timely feedback to employees.
- Document and handle conflict situations, including disciplinary procedures, appropriately and consistently, working in cooperation with the HR Coordinator to address and resolve such situations in a timely manner.
- Deal quickly and appropriately with emergency situations in accordance with library policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- With reasonable accommodation, meet the physical requirements and perform essential tasks and responsibilities reliably within 6 months of on-the-job experience and training
- MLS or MLIS from ALA-accredited university is required.
- Two to three years’ experience working in public library setting preferred
- Experience training and supervising others, including work delegation, scheduling, and evaluating performance preferred
- Advanced computer skills using Microsoft Office, GSuite, internet and email
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Reliability and above average work attendance with ability to work flexible schedule including day, evening and weekend hours
- Physical Engage in extended periods of sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting/turning and stretching to shelve materials throughout the library on shelves of varying heights from above shoulders to below knees.
- Engage in intermittent periods of climbing stairs, typing and viewing computer monitors, lifting and carrying equipment and materials occasionally weighing 40 – 60 pounds and pushing loaded book trucks weighing 75 - 100 pounds or more on tile or carpet. Must be able to use hands and fingers to grasp, handle and manipulate materials and operate tools and controls, including computers, phones and office equipment. Occasionally required to get on hands and knees to look for materials that have fallen under the shelves or stand on stool 14 ½ inches above ground to reach upper shelves.
- Must also shovel snow and salt pavement as needed and pick up trash around outside of Library. May be required to climb step ladder occasionally and run vacuum as needed.
- Favorable results of pre-employment background check
- Reliable transportation in order to meet work requirements Valid vehicle operator’s license with acceptable driving record and current vehicle insurance. Travel within Richland County is required.
- Required at time of hire: proof of eligibility to work in the United States
ADDITIONAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note: The duties listed below illustrate but do not limit the tasks performed by persons in this classification. Adhere to, support and effectively implement Administration and Board policy, procedures and core values.
- Create opportunities and coordinate training and supervision for Branch Volunteers and students.
- Attend and actively participate in Branch Manager and Leadership Team meetings.
- Work Sunday rotation when scheduled.
- Collaborate with the Regional Branch Services Coordinator and the Community Engagement Coordinator to monitor and evaluate branch web pages for accuracy and appropriate and current content.
- Engage actively in professional development and monitor changes in the profession through meetings, professional association membership and activities and professional reading.
- Provide statistics, reports and project results, as requested.
- Attend Staff Development Day, and additional workshops and seminars as assigned.
- Perform additional tasks as required by the upward chain of command, which moves from the Branch Manager to the Regional Branch Services Coordinator to the Deputy Director to the Director.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Please submit completed application form, along with cover letter and current resume.
Posted On: Aug 9, 2021 / This posting expires: Aug 31, 2021