Organization:Stark County District Library
• Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record.
• Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment, or shift.
A master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution with at least three years of experience in professional library work, with 1-2 years of supervisory experience which can include leading initiatives such as special projects, committees, and/or task forces. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
A master's degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution with at least three years of experience in professional library work, including one year of experience performing the full range of advanced, professional library work, and two years of direct supervisory experience. Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
• The library environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of offices, which includes the need for general safe workplace practices with office equipment and computers, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations;
• Lift light objects (less than 20 pounds) and carry them short distances (20 feet or less);
• Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time while performing a variety of tasks; and
• Perform repetitive hand, arm, and body movements, including lifting books on a continuous basis for up to an eight-hour shift.
An employee serving in this position advances the mission of the Library by supervising the operation of a small branch library or a department of the Main Library, including directing the work of all levels of staff performing technical, administrative, and clerical assignments. This employee is accountable to a library director, with whom he or she collaborates, plans and reviews plans, budgets, programs, reports and conferences. This Manager supervises the full range of public library services, and is responsible for modeling outstanding customer service. The Manager may be consulted to advise and resolve difficult or unusual problems.
• Demonstrates superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity;
• Demonstrates commitment to STAR (service, trust, accountability, and respect) values in all interactions with customers, community residents, and colleagues;
• Formulates goals, plans, and procedures for a small branch library or a department of the Main Library or a system-wide department;
• Directs and coordinates the activities of the branch or department, oversees scheduling to ensure coverage of service points, and accepts responsibility for the overall operating effectiveness of the branch or department;
• Monitors and evaluates the work of the staff members of the branch or department;
• Manages the performance of assigned staff members, and holds them accountable for providing exemplary customer service consistent with Library policies and procedures;
• Seeks information from users and potential users of information and library materials about their library needs and interests;
• Answers reference questions and performs readers advisory services;
• Formulates goals, plans, and procedures and accepts responsibility for the overall effectiveness of one or more of the system-wide library support programs;
• Participates in library committee work by chairing meetings or contributing as a member;
• Represents the library in the community by making presentations and serving on boards and committees;
• Actively seeks opportunities to promote the Library with the goal of increasing public use of programs and resources, and enhancing the Library’s visibility as a vital community partner;
• Resolves customer problems;
• Participates in the interview or selection process for library staff;
• Interprets and explains library policies, objectives, and services to community groups, business and educational leaders, publishing agency representatives, and the general public;
• Maintains regular and reliable attendance; and
• Works more than forty hours in a workweek without additional compensation to perform assigned job duties.
• Customer service principles and techniques;
• Leadership styles and skills;
• Professional library theories, issues and trends;
• Principles and practices of public library operation and library materials selection;
• Principles and techniques of employee supervision and training; and
• Library professional publications and the literature of librarianship.
• Demonstrate technology proficiency at the basic to intermediate level;
• Maintain regular and reliable attendance, observing a flexible schedule including nights and weekends as assigned;
• Communicate in the English language by phone, email, online or in person in a one-to-one or group setting;
• Work cooperatively with other staff, community groups, business, and educational leaders, vendors and the general public;
• Comprehend and make inferences from written material;
• Adapt to changing work priorities;
• Analyze professional problems and take appropriate action;
• Communicate effectively and work proactively to attain solutions;
• Comprehend, use and apply current technology in a public library setting;
• Perform a broad range of supervisory responsibilities, including supervising the work of others through planning, organizing, instructing and motivating;
• Monitor and evaluate the performance of designated staff;
• Research and find answers to advanced level and general reference questions;
• Keep up-to-date with current professional issues and developments; and
• Produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation and grammar.
For complete job description and application visit www.starklibrary.org, contact, employment.