Director of Library Services
About this Job
The Director of Library Services is a 12-month administrative position responsible for the strategic direction, overall operations, and leadership of the Br. Edmond Drouin Library. The director supports the mission of the University and fosters collaborative relationships across the campus and in the community, with other institutions of higher education, OhioLink and OPAL. The principal duties and responsibilities are divided among administrative, functional, and professional/scholarly areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee all aspects of library administration, including operations, services, fiscal management and budgets, facilities management, collection development, online systems, and assessment of library services and resources.
- Provide strategic vision and direction in library support services, virtually and in-person, including resource sharing, collection development, instruction, scholarship, and student retention.
- Develop, monitor, and enforce library policies.
- Establish and maintain collaborative partnerships.
- Facilitate the purchase and availability of on-line resources for academic programs.
- Maintain all database and various resource licensing information in conjunction with the Information Technology Department, when necessary.
- Assist students, faculty and staff with services provided in-person, or through chat, telephone and/or email.
- Manage the collection management for assigned liaison area of responsibility.
- Collaborate with academic schools, department leadership, and faculty on information literacy.
- Maintain the library’s webpage content.
- Facilitate cross-training of library staff.
- Maintain and contribute to the awareness of current trends in library services and scholarship of the profession.
- Attend and participate in library conferences, workshops, and seminars; develop and maintain professional contacts in the interest of cooperation and collaboration.
- Attend and participate in the OPAL Director’s Council and its committees.
- Support faculty scholarship, grant application research, and scholarly publications.
- Share knowledge management and subject research expertise through the campus faculty development initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned or required
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) of this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Required Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
Must understand and support the Mission, Vision, and Code of Ethical Conduct of Walsh University, as a Catholic higher education university as expressed in Ex Corde Ecclesiae, and possess the following:
Education: Master’s in Library Science (MLS) or Information Science (MLIS) required from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent degree from a foreign institution at the time of appointment.
Work Experience: Supervisory experience and commitment to team development. Demonstrated strengths in communication, writing, problem-solving, decision-making, analytical and critical thinking.
Skills and abilities:
Professional demeanor and ability to interact with charity towards students, staff, and faculty. Strong understanding and vision for innovative learning and student support environments within the library environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Physical requirements of the job include prolonged sitting, extended periods of keyboard work and use of a computer monitor, some walking, occasional lifting and carrying objects no more than 20 pounds.
About Walsh University
Walsh University is seeking a dynamic, energetic, and passionate individual who is enthusiastic about the environment found on a private, values based, Catholic liberal arts campus. Walsh University believes in the desirability of a small university that promotes academic excellence, a diverse community, and close student-teacher interactions. A commitment to the Judeo-Christian tradition, diversity and service learning are critical to the mission of Walsh University. Walsh University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Applicants must submit a completed online application and any additional documents requested by the search/interview committee. This may include resume, unofficial transcripts, etc.
Posted On: Jan 2, 2024 / This posting expires: Apr 1, 2024