Information Services Librarian (Genealogy Emphasis)
About this Job
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Information Services Librarian (Genealogy Emphasis) to be part of our Special Collections department at the Main Library. The successful candidate will handle reference requests regarding genealogy, which may include assisting patrons in the use of our various online research databases. They will also be expected to offer programs to the public related to genealogy. They will work the reference desk in the Special Collections Room as well as in the main part of the Library. If you enjoy assisting patrons with their genealogy research and like offering programming, this is the job for you! Apply today!
Essential Job Duties
• Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the public service areas through personal presence and area’s design.
• Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers' advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk, the Ask Me Line, and in a roaming capacity.
• Provides services to and maintains liaisons with genealogy and related community organizations.
• Attends meetings and gives presentations within the community on genealogy and related topics.
• Develops recommendations for genealogy-related services and provides input into policies affecting genealogy.
• Handles special reference services or requests pertaining to genealogy.
• Provides advice and recommendations to public service staff for developing and maintaining a useful genealogy collection for researchers.
• Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
• Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
• Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates genealogy programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (or its equivalent in education and experience) is preferred.
• Valid driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to drive vehicle.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret reference resources, general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals and governmental regulations.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills.
• Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
• Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
• Knowledge and appreciation of genealogy resources.
• Ability to plan and implement programs and services to meet community needs.
• Ability to use Internet and other electronic reference resources. Ability to use e-mail, spreadsheet, and word processing software. Ability to operate in a network environment.
• General knowledge of PC equipment required. Fluency with personal electronic devices and library virtual materials required.
• Schedule includes day time, evening and Saturday hours.
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Further, we recognize the importance of language diversity on our team as Dayton was the first city in the United States to earn the status of "Certified Welcoming" city. We encourage applications from individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages commonly used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at care[email protected]. This position is open until filled.
Posted On: Oct 16, 2023 / This posting expires: Nov 4, 2023