Innovation Lab Supervisor
Organization:Westerville Public Library
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Master’s degree preferred (MLIS or technology related).
- Experience working in a maker space/technology lab setting is a plus.
- Experience teaching technology skills to youth and adults (programming, computer basics, digital media production, engineering, STEM or web).
- Project management/startup experience or interest in developing these skills.
- Interest and ability to instruct in both a group and one-to-one setting.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience sourcing alternative funding for programs/equipment including grants, partnerships and sponsorships preferred.
- Ability to read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and present information to others.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize customer requests.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across multiple departments.
- Ability to interact with the public in a consistent, friendly and professional manner.
- Positive attitude and a willingness to accept change.
- Ability to learn, operate, and teach complex computer applications and programs.
- Must have excellent communication skills including the ability to convey information effectively to others.
- While performing duties of job, employee typically handles office equipment, objects or controls and frequently communicates with others. Work requires light physical exertion, including bending, kneeling, stooping and standing; some lifting and moving of objects/book carts (up to 10 lbs).
- The majority of the work is performed in an office setting. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
** NOTE: This is a new position. Candidates applying for this job should be comfortable with an evolving role and participating in ensuring this role aligns with the future strategic goals of the Library.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Within the Innovation Lab environment the Supervisor will have a unique opportunity to assist our staff and customers learn, use and apply emerging technologies. These emerging technologies include: extended realities (VR/AR/MR/XR), a recording studio, 3D design/printing, expanded format printing, and digital media creation. The Supervisor will use multiple methods including live/virtual, recorded and digital interactions to accomplish their goals. The Supervisor is also responsible for leading the team of Technology Center Associates as they provide personal computer assistance to customers.
- Participate in assessment, design, (initial creative process) scope and project cost estimates for project creation.
- Participate in the assessment, validation and implementation of new technologies to the Lab.
- Provide ongoing analysis of equipment and community technology needs.
- Answer questions regarding the use of emerging technologies.
- Design programming to help customers integrate new technologies, skills, and processes to their needs.
- Provide training classes and/or demonstrations for staff and the public.
- Recruit volunteer Subject Matter Experts as speakers, trainers and consultants on emerging technologies.
- Ensure that safety protocols are in place for all Lab equipment.
- Organize, clean, and prep all Lab materials, including ordering, fabricating, and inventorying of supplies and tools.
- Troubleshoot and report equipment failures working with Computer Services staff as needed.
- Keep up-to-date on relevant emerging technologies and apply new knowledge.
- Maintain and grow relationships with other local maker space labs to coordinate services, programs, training, and sharing of technology.
- Recruit, interview and hire new Technology Center Associates as needed.
- Schedule Technology Center staff based on anticipated workload and ensures that adequate staffing levels are maintained to meet the library’s needs.
- Evaluate, coach, develop and discipline direct reports.