Librarian Adult Services
About this Job
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ASCPL is hiring a Librarian to support our Mission Statement to provide resources for learning and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all ages that support, improve, and enrich individual, family, and community life. The Librarian in Culture & Audio Visual:
• Greets customers in a friendly and accessible manner.
• Advises and assists customers with the selection, organization, and interpretation of Library materials.
• Understands, analyzes, and answers varied technology-related reference questions by supplying information well suited to the user.
• Compiles bibliographies and locates hard-to-find reference materials.
• Develops materials list, reference guides, and displays to promote Library service.
• Performs collection maintenance duties including creating displays, weeding, and arranging materials.
• Communicates and collaborates with Collection Development regarding customer and community trends and interests.
• Plans and presents developmentally appropriate programs based on the current customer and agency’s audience, as required.
• Establishes and builds relationships with appropriate community organizations (e.g., nonprofit agencies, local businesses, schools).
• Identifies opportunities to increase interest and awareness of Library services.
• Interprets the Library’s policies and procedures to the public in a customer-responsive manner.
• Assists customers in use of technology and offers instruction.
• Maintains special files and collections.
• Performs standard Library routines, including circulation, delivery, covering additional service desks, and processing holds.
• Maintains budgets for programs and supplies.
• Assists with training new hires and other employees on agency routines.
• May serve as in-charge person for the agency, resolving customer issues and/or overseeing the work of others in the absence of the Manager.
• Provides creative content for social media, marketing, or other Library platforms, as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: A Master of Library and Information Science degree. Knowledge of the principles and practices of library science. Knowledge of customer interests related to Library materials, programs, and services. Knowledge of the principles of intellectual freedom as they apply to public libraries. Ability to plan and conduct programs for Library customers. Skill in customer service. Ability to engage new audiences and promote Library services to all customers. Ability to use a computer and job-related software or systems applicable to the essential functions of the job. Ability to pass criminal background and education verification check screenings.
Preferred: 2 or more years of relevant experience. Ohio Public Librarian Certification.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
Since 1874, the Akron-Summit County Public Library (ASCPL) has been an essential community asset. We’ve been recognized nationally as one of the finest public libraries in the United States due to our excellent customer service, collaborative community involvement, and high level of customer and employee satisfaction. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays, voluntary benefits (health, dental, and vision), ASCPL-provided life insurance, and retirement through the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS).
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Open until filled (preference given to candidates who apply within the first two weeks)
For consideration, applicants for this position must either submit a resume and a cover letter indicating previous applicable experience and training or complete an Employment Application in the Human Resources Department at Main Library. Email resumes to [email protected] or mail them to: Human Resources, Akron-Summit County Public Library, 60 S. High Street, Akron OH 44326-0001. For more information about the ASCPL system, visit our website at www.akronlibrary.org. Applicants within 7 credit hours or less toward completion of an M.L.I.S. degree will also be considered under certain conditions. Individuals hired under these conditions will begin as a Public Service Assistant lll, Grade 10, Step 1, ($20.61/hr), and upon confirmation of completion of the M.L.I.S. degree will be moved to Librarian, Grade 11, Step 1, ($21.19/hour).
THE AKRON-SUMMIT COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY IS AN EQUAL OPPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Posted On: Oct 10, 2023 / This posting expires: Nov 11, 2023