Librarian – Business, Government & Science
About this Job
The ASCPL is hiring a Librarian to support our Mission Statement to provide resources for learning and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all ages that support, improve, and enrich individual, family, and community life.
• Greets customers in a friendly and accessible manner.
• Advises and assists customers with the selection, organization, and interpretation of Library materials.
• Understands, analyzes, and answers varied technology-related reference questions by supplying information well suited to the user, which could include directing customers to other divisions, agencies, or resources for additional help.
• Compiles bibliographies and locates hard-to-find reference materials.
• Develops materials list, reference guides, and displays to promote Library service.
• Performs collection maintenance duties including creating displays, weeding, and arranging materials.
• Communicates and collaborates with Collection Development regarding customer and community trends and interests.
• Plans and presents developmentally appropriate programs based on the current customer and agency’s audience, as required.
• Establishes and builds relationships with appropriate community organizations, nonprofit agencies, local businesses, schools, and other community stakeholders.
• Identifies opportunities to increase interest and awareness of Library services.
• Interprets the Library’s policies and procedures to the public in a customer-responsive manner.
• Assists customers in use of technology and offers instruction, as needed.
• Maintains special files and collections.
• Performs standard Library routines, including circulation, delivery, and covering additional service desks as needed.
• Maintains budgets for programs and supplies, as needed.
• Processes daily delivery and hold items, as needed.
• Assists with training new hires and other employees on agency routines.
• May serve as in-charge person for the agency, resolving customer issues and/or overseeing the work of employees, Student Assistants, and volunteers in the absence of the Manager.
• Provides creative content for social media, marketing, or other Library platforms, as needed.
• Complies with Akron-Summit County Public Library’s policies, rules, guidelines, procedures, requirements, standards, and practices applicable to the job, including (but not limited to) work scheduling and attendance, customer service, use of Library property, computer use, personal conduct, supervisor expectations, and confidentiality.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: A Master of Library and Information Science degree* issued by an ALA-accredited school of library and information science. Knowledge of professional library science, including familiarity with reference and bibliographic resources in the business, government and science areas; understanding of current trends and their influence on program planning, readers advisory, use of technology, and relationship building; effective research skills; ability to speak and write effectively; sound professional judgment; ability to direct the work of others; and positive customer service skills, including a pleasing personality and the ability to get along well with others; ability to work irregular hours, including evening and weekends.
Previous library experience. Ohio Public Librarian Certification.* Applicants within 7 credit hours or less toward completion of an M.L.I.S. degree will also be considered under certain conditions. Individuals hired under these conditions will begin as a Public Service Assistant lll, Grade 10, Step 1, ($20.61/hr), and upon confirmation of completion of the M.L.I.S. degree will be moved to Librarian, Grade 11, Step 1, ($21.19/hr).
Since 1874, the Akron-Summit County Public Library (ASCPL) has been an essential community asset. We’ve been recognized nationally as one of the finest public libraries in the United States due to our excellent customer service, collaborative community involvement, and high level of customer and employee satisfaction. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays, voluntary benefits (health, dental, and vision), ASCPL-provided life insurance, and retirement through the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS).
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
For consideration, applicants for this position must either submit a resume and a cover letter indicating previous applicable experience and training or complete an Employment Application in the Human Resources Department at Main Library. Email resumes to [email protected] or mail them to: Human Resources, Akron-Summit County Public Library, 60 S. High Street, Akron OH 44326-0001. For more information about the ASCPL system, visit our website at www.akronlibrary.org
Posted On: Oct 3, 2023 / This posting expires: Nov 4, 2023