About this Job
Under the general direction of the Board of Trustees, the Library Director is responsible for the administration of the library system including all operations, facilities, staffing, budgeting, selections, personnel, collections, public relations, and any similar activities. The Library Director reports to the Board once each month on the library’s operations, ensures that the library operates in accordance with established policies, and creates/maintains procedures which ensure a healthy, responsive, effective and efficient library system. The Library Director is responsible for the supervision of the managerial staff to include providing work schedules, training, conducting performance reviews, hiring, and disciplining.
Determining and adhering to established budgets, tracking of detailed information, and participation in procedure/policy setting are required. Duties require extensive supervisory skills, independent judgment, diplomacy, and independent action. The Library Director interacts with the public and with other staff.
The library expects all employees to observe and develop our core values of: Motivation, Positive Attitude, Respect for Others, Strong Commitment to Customer Service, Sense of Humor, Integrity, Honesty, Tolerance and Flexibility.
• Attend all meetings of the Board of Trustees, coordinating the agenda with the president and
making arrangements for any necessary special meetings.
• Determine and recommend needed policies to the Board for approval.
• Suggest revisions to the Board for existing policies as needed.
• Carry out the policies of the library as adopted by the Board of Trustees.
• Create and maintain procedure manuals for the execution of the library’s policies.
• Create and maintain the fiscal budget for the library’s operation.
• Create and execute a long-range plan for the library’s continuing development.
• Maintain a continuous and active public relations program.
• Provide for the continuing education needs of staff.
• Make regular reports on the progress and activities of the library to the Board and to the
• Develop resourcefulness in providing service to all citizens.
• Use effective management techniques in planning, organizing staffing, supervising, controlling and
evaluating the library’s operation.
• Administer the library’s personnel policies in accordance with state and federal regulations and
approve the hiring, promotion and dismissal of library staff.
• Visit all branches on a regular basis and maintain high levels of communication with all managers.
• Serve as the president of the board for the Campbell County Imagination Library.
• Serve as a liaison to the Friends of the Campbell County Public Library.
• Participate in groups and boards outside of the library.
• Other duties as required.
$90,000 to $105,000, depending on experience
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Master's degree in library science from an ALA accredited library school.
• Five years of progressive library experience including direct supervisory experience.
• Knowledge of library principles and practices and the ability to put them into practice.
• Must be able to meet and maintain Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (KDLA) certification requirements.
• Extensive computer experience with standard office software, including Microsoft Office products, email, and internet usage.
• Valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving history. Personal transportation that can be used for business travel is required.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
TO APPLY: Resumes will be accepted until October 22. Resume and cover letter
should be sent to JC Morgan, [email protected]
Posted On: Oct 2, 2023 / This posting expires: Oct 23, 2023