Teen Services Librarian
About this Job
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service.
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Teen area through personal presence and area’s design.
- Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats).
- Serves at the service desk and in a roaming capacity.
- Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
- Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
- Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates teen programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
- Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations, government agencies, and other groups as appropriate.
- Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
- Maintains attractive appearance of the Teen area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements.
- Creates displays to promote library use.
- Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement.
- Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced, or redistributed.
- Submits required reports and budget requests.
- May serve on library committees.
- Attends applicable department meetings.
- Assists with system-wide programs, activities, and initiatives.
- Assists with the daily operations of the service desks, including opening and closing duties.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Ability to drive vehicle.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret reference resources, general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals and governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, book reviews, readers’ advisory materials and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from teens, parents, teachers, patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community.
- Ability to apply active listening skills
- Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge and appreciation of teen literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant teen collection.
- Knowledge of available teen library materials and reader’s interests.
- Ability to determine patron information needs.
- Ability to construct a competent and complete search strategy using both print and non-print information resources
- Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to reference work.
- Ability to plan and implement programs and services to meet community needs
- Ability to use Internet and other electronic reference resources.
- Ability to use e-mail, spreadsheet, and word processing software
- Ability to learn integrated library system functions used in carrying out job duties.
- Ability to operate in a network environment
- General knowledge of PC equipment required
- Fluency with personal electronic devices and library virtual materials required.
- Schedule includes day time, evening and Saturday hours.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references
Posted On: Jul 1, 2021 / This posting expires: Jul 13, 2021