Teen Services Librarian
About this Job
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Teen Services Librarian for the West Carrollton Branch. We are looking for a librarian who is skilled in making connections with local schools and engaging teens who visit the Library. The West Carrollton Branch is very busy after school, so experience in managing large groups of teens is desired. The ideal candidate will be energetic and experienced at offering creative programming that appeals to teens in grades 7 through 12. Apply today!
Essential Job Duties
• Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Teen area through personal presence and area’s design.
• Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy, and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk and in a roaming capacity.
• Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices, and library virtual materials.
• Provides work guidance in the absence of the Manager and/or appointed person in charge.
• Designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates teen programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
• Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations, government agencies, and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
• Maintains attractive appearance of the Teen area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (preferred) or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
• Valid driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required. Ability to drive vehicle.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from teens, parents, teachers, patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
• Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures. Knowledge and appreciation of teen literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current and relevant teen collection.
• Ability to plan and implement programs and services to meet community needs.
• Ability to use Internet and other electronic reference resources. Ability to use e-mail, spreadsheet, and word processing software. Ability to learn integrated library system functions used in carrying out job duties. Ability to operate in a network environment.
• Schedule includes day, evening and Saturday hours.
DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.
Further, we recognize the importance of language diversity on our team as Dayton was the first city in the United States to earn the status of "Certified Welcoming" city. We encourage applications from individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages commonly used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to Apply
Apply to this opportunity using the contact method(s) below
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at care[email protected]. This position is open until filled.
Posted On: Oct 16, 2023 / This posting expires: Nov 11, 2023