Youth Experience Manager
Organization:Dayton Metro Library
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program with a minimum of three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in a public library setting at a professional level that includes work in youth services, and supervisory experience preferred.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.
- Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee projects and personnel of Youth Services.
- Thorough knowledge of professional principles, practices, and methods of library science and administration. Specialized knowledge of children's and teen materials and programming.
- Knowledge of management principles required to coordinate a system-wide function.
- Ability to hire, train, evaluate, motivate, and lead staff.
- Ability to prepare and administer budgets.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with community officials, leaders, organizations, the public, and the staff.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community, individually and in a group setting. Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to learn automated system functions used in carrying out job duties. General knowledge of PC equipment required.
- The work schedule will typically be Monday through Friday; however, evening and weekend hours may be required to support system-wide initiatives and events.
The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting a professional who is seasoned in youth services (birth through age 17) to fill the newly created position of Youth Experience Manager. This position reports to our Youth Services Director and will be based at our Operations Center in downtown Dayton. The ideal candidate will have experience serving in both a children’s and teen services role in a public library setting. This position will direct the Library’s system-wide Summer Challenge program, which includes chairing the committee, software setup, developing programming for youth, deciding on incentives for participants who achieve certain goals, etc. The selected candidate will possess strong project management abilities, excellent communication and organizational skills, and be excited to dive into Summer Challenge right away! If you have always wanted to concentrate your public library skills on youth services, now is your chance! Join our team today!
- Assists in the establishment and implementation of goals and objectives for Youth Services and Programming that support the Library’s mission.
- Directly hires, manages, evaluates, and schedules the Early Literacy Librarian, Teen Services Coordinator, Library Aides, and Substitutes in Youth Services. Communicates with the Youth Services Director and the Human Resources Director on staffing issues. Serves as liaison between direct reports and Youth Services Director.
- Supports Youth Services Director in developing and maintaining rapport with community organizations. Assists Youth Services Director in planning and providing youth programs and services to meet community needs.
- Occasionally works in Main Children’s and Teen rooms, branches, and Outreach Services to maintain knowledge of Library operations and to recommend improvements that ensure the efficient, effective delivery of youth services to patrons.
- Coordinates Summer Challenge, including software set up, maintenance and reports, ordering and distribution of prizes, and system-wide activities. Chairs the Summer Challenge Committee.
- Coordinates large scale projects that align with DML strategic priorities (including, but not limited to, Dayton Water Festival, Manufacturing Day, First Club, Career Adventure events, and the culminating Summer Challenge Experience.)
- Assists with the establishment, preparation, and implementation of budgets for programming and youth services.
- Assists Collection Development on the evaluation, development, and maintenance of the children’s and teen collections of print, non-print, electronic materials, information resources, and technology for youth.
For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by January 26, 2021.