Youth Services Assistant
Organization:Pickerington Public Library
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood and/or Youth Services experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in interacting positively with children
- Knowledge of basic library principles, methods and procedures
- Maintains professional, businesslike behavior and appearance
- Demonstrated commitment to serving library customers and residents of the community
- Must maintain insurability under the Library’s vehicle liability insurance coverage. Must maintain valid driver’s license, personal vehicle and acceptable driving record. May drive PPL vehicle if called upon.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
Physical requirements include ability to stand, sit, bend, push and carry library materials over an extended period of time. Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds and push a 50-pound cart. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The Youth Services Assistant will successfully promote the value of library services to children and their caregivers through classes, school visits, community outreach and more. Works with each department in the library to provide materials and excellent customer service to all library customers. Provides customer assistance in finding library materials and requested information through print, media and online resources and readers’ advisory. Responsible for assisting customers with computers and other library needs. Committed to the Pickerington Public Library’s Mission to “Inspire Knowledge, Connect Community, Enrich Our World, Read!”
- Plan, coordinate, promote and present youth events/classes, displays and outreach
- Interviews, researches and answers customer questions in person, over the phone, by email, instant messaging, etc. by locating appropriate sources of information using a variety of tools including the Internet
- Provides readers’ advisory to customers (in person and virtually) using appropriate sources of information including knowledge of the collection, the publishing industry and electronic resources.
- Specific awareness of the displays of special books in the youth department
- Knowledge of loan times of materials
- Specific knowledge of classes/activities in the youth department
- Assists with directional instructions and education of AR lists and library databases
- Attends professional meetings and trainings
- Supports planning, preparations, and implementation of Summer Reading
- Trains public and staff on use of Library technologies, one-on-one and in classroom settings
- Performs collection development activities based on knowledge of the community needs, usage levels, and relevance of materials.
- Assists in maintaining collection, including shelving, processing reserves, etc.
- Assists in maintaining local databases, websites, etc. and may assist Information Technology staff in the design, development and testing of products for the website
- Utilizes computer applications and Library equipment, maintains current knowledge of system wide and location specific procedures, processes, policies and operations.
- Utilizes email, voicemail and other Library technology to maintain open channels of communication
- Demonstrates understanding of basic library routines and adheres to library policies and procedures
- Assists in public service areas as needed
- Performs additional duties as assigned including serving on task forces, committees, etc.
Cover letters and resumes can be e-mailed to: email@example.com
Or mailed to: Pickerington Public Library
Attention: Brenda Oliver
201 Opportunity Way
Pickerington, Ohio 43147
Cover letters and resumes will be accepted until position is filled.
The Pickerington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicable background checks will be performed.